To switch from POP to IMAP, it is best to go through the following steps to do so in a secure manner, without losing your current e-mails.
IMAP or POP? Discover the pros and cons of POP and IMAP
From POP to IMAP in 5 steps
- Change your existing POP settings so that the messages are stored on the server indefinitely. For the most used e-mail programs (Outlook, Apple Mail, iOS, Android) we explain this in our configuration manuals for Basic mailboxes.
- Now add a new account to your mail program, this time with an IMAP configuration. This info can also be found in the configuration manuals for Basic mailboxes.
- As soon as your new IMAP mailbox is active, you move all your e-mails from your POP mailbox to your IMAP mailbox. You do this best for every folder: Inbox, sent mails, archives … Transferring all those emails can take a while. Therefore, leave your computer on at night.
- Check via webmail whether all your mails are present. If that is the case, the process is complete.
- If necessary, remove the POP mailbox from your mail program.